Would you like to examine a specific business topic within your company or institution in a way that combines specialist knowledge with practical application? One of our students can undertake this for you as an independent, unsupervised project in the context of their Bachelor’s thesis (BATH). The student is only supported by a supervisor at the beginning when finalising the thesis topic and defining their objectives. In contrast to team-based real-life student consulting projects, Bachelor’s theses are not continuously supervised by lecturers and clients.
The thesis topic has two parts to it:
- Academic: what academic research already exists on the topic?
- Practical application: how can the research be applied to the specific case?
Requirements for the thesis topic
In light of the student learning objectives for BATH, the following requirements must be met when submitting the thesis topic:
Topic from the field of business management
- Macroeconomics or microeconomics
- Strategic management
- Marketing & corporate communications
- Accounting & financial controlling
- Personnel & organisational development
- Corporate finance / banking & finance
- Business information technology
A theoretical approach must be possible
- Relevant theories, methods, concepts, models exist
- Specialised literature exists on the thesis topic (e.g. reference books, textbooks, high-quality online sources/documents, studies, academic articles, dissertations)
Must have practical relevance
- for businesses, institutions, economic or political entities, etc.
Focus must not be too narrow
- Can be determined by student
- Number of team members: 1 student, individual project
- Total commitment: approx. 250 hours
- Students in semester: 5th-6th semester (full-time) or 7th-8th semester (part-time)
- Supervisor (no coaching): 17 hours
- Co-supervisor: 5 hours
- Final written paper: 50 pages, plus appendix
- Viva voce examination: with supervisor and co-supervisor (without client)
- Language: German (English)
- Start: mid-November at the earliest
- End: mid-July at the latest
- Duration: approx. 24 weeks (with outline concept)
- Submission of topic to WTT: by early September
WTT YOUNG LEADER AWARD
- Nomination not possible
- Flat rate: CHF 800 (excl. VAT) payable to the WTT
- Expenses: approx. CHF 200 (as incurred) payable to students
Scope of work for BATH
The thesis topic is defined and finalised by the student in consultation with the supervisor and aligned with the requirements for the Bachelor’s thesis BATH (taking potential workload into consideration). The ideas of the clients are taken into account wherever possible.
Content elements: Current situation, scientific context, applied context, objectives, methodical approach, outline of work structure, rough timetable.
As soon as the outline has been finalised, the student will inform the client of the final content, and the supervisor will assess and grade the project.
- The student alone is responsible for writing the final BATH report in accordance with the definitions and plans of the outline. Inputs from the supervisor and/or the client are quoted as expert opinions in the final report.
- The academic work is based on the relevant literature and includes appropriate theories, approaches, concepts and/or models relating to the defined objectives.
- If empirical methods are used, the selected methods and tools for collecting, analysing and preparing data must be appropriate.
- The hands-on work results in well-researched concepts, models, action recommendations and measures that have real-world application and are factually correct and cogent.
- The requirements for academic writing are met (e.g. referencing rules, layout, required components, weighting of the individual chapters, appropriate structure, etc.)
Submission of thesis topic – three options
Student asks you for thesis topic or you approach student; the student then submits to the WTT.
2. Via WTT- XING-Group WTT YOUNG LEADER AWARD
You provide the WTT with the thesis topic and we publish it or you publish it yourself in the public XING Group “WTT YOUNG LEADER AWARD”: students who are interested contact you and you select a student; the student then submits to the WTT.
3. Via WTT and BATH pool
You provide the WTT with the thesis topic and we put it on an internal OST database in September and thus made accessible to students without self-acquisition. The students are then encouraged to apply for a maximum of three thesis topics, including a reason. The WTT makes the final allocation. As soon as the students are assigned to the thesis topics, they will contact you independently to work on the thesis topic. Since the students have the opportunity to find thesis topics for their bachelor's thesis themselves, the processing of your submited thesis topic cannot be guaranteed. If no student applies, you will be informed by the WTT in October.
Businesses and public institutions of all sizes and from all sectors in Switzerland and in the international Lake Constance region.