Cloud Knowledge Sources
Cloud Architecture Design Guidance
Cloud Solutions @ OST (in German) blog for the OST lecture on Cloud Solutions
Cloud Computing is OSSM (pronounce: "awesome"), according to Dave Nielsen's definition! So stay current with the evolution of cloud computing and Cloud Application Design (CAD) by checking out these blogs and online books:
- NIST Cloud Computing Program (definitions and more)
- Cloud-Native Computing Foundation (specifications such as CloudEvents)
- Cloud Computing Patterns website and book (Christoph Fehling, Frank Leymann, Ralph Retter, Walter Schupeck, Peter Arbitter, Springer-Verlag 2014) and C. Fehling's PhD thesis (e.g., introducing IDEAL cloud application properties) and early patterns paper.
- Flexera RightScale blog, e.g., 2020 State of the Cloud Survey
- InfoWorld on Cloud Computing, including blog posts from David Linthicum
- DZone Cloud Zone
- InfoQ on cloud computing, e.g. cloud portability eMag
- Werner Vogels' AllThingsDistributed blog, Amazon Web Services blog, white papers, and AWS Cloud Design Patterns by practitioners (2013)
- MSDN patterns & practices on cloud development, e.g. Cloud Design Patterns book (worth studying irrespective of your chosen cloud provider, due to platform-independent nature of the patterns) and Azure Architecture Center
- Google Cloud Platform getting started and technical best practices documentation
- 12-Factor App and Architecting Applications for Heroku
- IEEE Cloud Computing community
For knowledge and advice regarding migration of existing applications to the cloud, start exploring the Web at these places:
- Cloud Strategy by G. Hohpe (print versions available, as well as eBook on LeanPub)
- Cloud Native Application Architecture tutorial by M. Stine
- Cloud Migration Patterns by IC4 Lero
- AWS Migration Patterns
- MSDN Moving Applications to the Cloud, 3rd Edition
- Cloud Migration Book (Web Edition)
- Try bookauthority.org for more recommendations (all times, 2021).
Related research articles co-authored by us include (please find an up-to-date list here):
- Pardon, G., Pautasso, C., Zimmermann, O.: Consistent Disaster Recovery for Microservices: the Backup, Availability, Consistency (BAC) Theorem. In: IEEE Cloud Computing, 5(1) 2018, pp. 49-59.
- Pahl, C.; Jamshidi, P.; Zimmermann, O.: Architectural Principles for Cloud Software. In: ACM Trans. on Internet Technology (TOIT), 18 (2) 2018, pp. 17:1-17:23.
- Furda, A.; Fidge, C.; Zimmermann, O.; Kelly, W.; Barros, A.: Migrating Enterprise Legacy Source Code to Microservices: On Multitenancy, Statefulness, and Data Consistency. In: IEEE Software, 35 (3) 2018, pp. 63-72.
- Pautasso, C.; Zimmermann, O.: The Web as a Software Connector. Integration Resting on Linked Resources. In: IEEE Software, 35 (1) 2018, pp. 93-98.
- Neri D., Soldani, J., Zimmermann, O., Brogi, A: Design Principles, Architectural Smells and Refactorings for Microservices. A Multivocal Review. In: SICS Software-Intensive Cyber-Physical Systems (Springer 2019), 2019.