Promoting a healthy work-life balance

Reconciling work and family life

We offer you information on external childcare options and other topics such as

  • daycare facilities
  • Placement agencies for in-home daycare, nannies
  • Childcare services (e.g. when a child is sick)
  • Parenthood, family and job

There are places available for all university members at the Globi daycare centers in St. Gallen (Böcklinstrasse 14 and Otmarquartier), in Winkeln, Gossau and Oberbüren.

The daycare centers offer places for children from the age of three months until they start school. They are also open to university members who do not live in the city of St. Gallen or in the commune. The tariff regulations of the city of St. Gallen or the commune apply.

We recommend an initial consultation with Ursula Graff from the Diversity and Equal Opportunity Office ( Register directly with the daycare center and let them know that you are studying or working at OST when you register. Information/registration:

If an emergency arises due to illness, accident or a difficult life situation, in-home childcare can provide support.

The following agencies can arrange in-home childcare in an emergency:

The Student Childcare Fund offers students the opportunity to apply for financial support for childcare options outside of the home.

You can make use of financial support

  • to ensure that you don't have to interrupt your studies after the birth of your child,
  • in order to secure childcare until the end of your studies and
  • if you encounter financial difficulties in funding your childcare.

Only students of OST Eastern Switzerland University of Applied Sciences are eligible to apply for funding.

Documents for the written application can be obtained from Ursula Graf at the Diversity and Equal Opportunity unit (

University staff who look after or care for sick, disabled or elderly relatives face different problems and challenges. The university strives to find individual solutions for those entitled to compensation for disadvantages.

You can obtain important information from the information sheet for employees with relatives in need of care, from Pro Senectute, the Swiss Red Cross, and under Work & Care.

For further information, please contact Cornelia Bruggmann from the HR Department: